Saturday, 31 January 2015

Sheath Anssi 150


Just a quick post on the latest new sheath I have made for my Anssi 150 knife handle I fitted. Despite my worries about making a sheath for a 6 inch blade and a failure I had, the sheath has turned out really well.



Making the template gave me some challenges resulting in my first attempt at cutting the the leather from the template coming up short. Another lesson learnt take your time with the template and get it right before applying and cutting the leather.


Apart from the mistake with the template the construction went well. The picture above shows the glued but not sewn sheath. The edging also needs to be cut back and smoothed.


I thought that it would be nice to try and get some simple detailing in as you can see above. Again new to me and challenging until I got the right tool for the job. I bought the leather from an Ebay business I have to say that it was quite different from the leather bought from EnglishHandMadeKnives.


The sewing has become quite relaxing now that I have mastered the process. After marking and gluing I use the awl to mark the locations for the holes. No awl any more a Dremmel with  very small drill bit, it works very well. Last time I got through four needles breaking trying to squeeze them through the holes a pain. But not any more and the stitching looks so much better.


I will give the sheath a further buff up later. The next project in leather is going to be a EDC type pouch for a knife and mini torch. However, I have an Enzo Nordic Carbon 01 blade to handle.



I have designed and made a template for the Enzo. In terms of what will make up the handle I have made my mind up yet. However, Bone,Red & White fibre, and the wood......



Hope you have enjoyed the read, thank you.

Paul

Monday, 19 January 2015

The First Sheath



This is just a short post to show my first attempt at making a leather knife sheath. Despite taking several days to make the sheath I have learnt some important lessons. One of which is to have plenty of needles at hand.


Polar 75 Blade with Cherry handle

Actually for my first attempt I'm reasonably happy. Its not going to win an award for beauty but a very solid sturdy working sheath. The finish is in an acorn colour dye.



I left a small hole at the bottom to allow water out.
The making of the holes for stitching is another area where lessons are learnt quickly. The rear of the sheath shows where I went off line with the awl trying to come through. In the end I opted for Dremmel to make the holes this is the procedure I will use in all other leather projects.

Well short and sweet thank you for reading. Time to make some more sheaths and another knife handle for a Enzo Nordic blade.

Paul



Friday, 2 January 2015

Full Tang Virgin Knife



Whilst chatting to my old friend about all things knifes he happened to mention that he had found a blade that needed a handle. Having never handled a full tang blade before, time to give it a whirl. He duly posted the blade onto me arriving before Christmas.


Choice on the fittings etc was at my discretion on seeing the colour of the blade I thought a dark wood would be fitting, so I plumped for Cocobolo.


As I normally do I made a cardboard cut out handle as a working template. The wood came in a nice block that required sawing in half. Unfortunately, not being an owner of a band saw it was cut by hand saw.



Once sawn into two halves time to flatten the edges. I use an 60 grit sand sheet on a large plate glass sheet for this purpose.



Time to apply the template and round the forward edges of the knife blanks. I decided after that to polish the saw cuts out.



Time to start thinking about attaching the scales to the blade. I decided to use Lovelass bolts as well as slow cure epoxy. I went with Orange Poly carbonate spacers next time fibre and a contrasting colour.






Once drilled and dry fitted it was time to think about gluing it all together. In hind sight I should have removed more of the waste wood prior to the gluing up, this caused issues later. Despite my attempts to ensure that the countersink was deep enough to accept the brass Lovelass bolts one failed to locate all the way up when I attempted to glue up again this caused issue later, lessons learnt.



To cold in the shed for epoxy resin.
Once all glued and clamped a 24 hour wait for the slow cure epoxy to dry. After the epoxy had dried I started work on the final part of the handle, shaping. 









All was going well up to the point when the Lovelass bolt that i could not get all the way down ran out of brass. Time for a fix which turned out reasonably well. I cannot express how frustrating this was as I this was my first time making a full tang handle and everything had gone so well. Despite this I continued on with the work shaping and sanding until the work was completed.






Overall, I'm pleased with the profiling, finish and the way the knife feels with the handle attached. I learnt a lot from this first attempt at a full tang knife handle. Despite that the handle will hopefully provide a sturdy working tool.

Reading on many forums about full tang v stick tang, most people seem to prefer making full tang handles. However, personally its stick tang handles for me, no pins, no competing for the wood with metal, less fiddly, less costly and the ability to shape the handle the way I want not the way the blade tells me.. anyway the knife is on its way back to its owner.

Thanks for reading, till next time.

Paul