Saturday, 20 December 2014

Tommos Puukko Tommi Knife

So, the Anssi Blade arrived a week ago from brisa knifes

Anssi 150
The next job was to determine the type and materials for the handle. Finally deciding to choose a Puukko style handle in Water Buffalo Horn and African Olive Wood (as I have some left from the last knife).




I bought a pack of brass bolsters from Brisa at the same time as the blade. Time to make it fit the blade.




The brass bolster finished and re-polished time to put that to one side and start on the horn and wood.


As normal I hand drew the shape of the handle and made a cardboard cut out. I chose a nice chunk of buffalo horn and leveled both ends off with 60 grit on a piece of plate glass to get it perfectly flat. With all the components ready it was time to glue and construct the handle, prior to the arrival of the knife I made a glue press.


Home made glue press
Not sure why it screwed up at an angle however it made difference to the work. I used Araldite Ultra epoxy glue which took about 24 hours to cure.


Glue hardened.
The knife fully hardened it was time to start designing the handle in the shape I had chosen.



Time to remove some of the excess wood and horn. I like to ensure the blade is straight in the handle I draw the line of the blade down the top and bottom of the handle.





So apologies for the picture heavy set coming up, but its the best way to show the various stages of shaping of the handle. 









The handle is shaped with machine sanders takes a lot of the manual out of the work. The next stage is to hand sand the final finish. Eventually finishing up like this:



The horn was polished out on the buffer I love the white flaring in the horn. I applied a nice coat of Danish Oil to the African Olive Wood, the plan is to give it multiple finishes.

I have to say I am proud of the knife as a finished item and its definitely a keeper for myself. Time to start moving into learning how to make leather sheaths. However, before that I have one more project to complete a good friend has asked me to put some scales on a knife blade for him, which I agreed too, despite never having handled with scales, oh well a good learning project. I will post when its completed....if all goes well.

Thanks for reading. 

Have a safe Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

Paul

5 comments:

  1. that is one sexy knife mate - you certainly have a talent

    Happy Christmas and here's to our new adventures in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gary for the kind comments.

    Looking forward to out adventures next year too.

    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made some great knives this year. Enjoyed reading the blog and you even got me making some mead btw racked the latest batch will be good in 6weeks. Have Merry Christmas looking forward to reading more next year.
    Clive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clive, thanks for the kind comment. Glad you have enjoyed my little rants. Keep up the good work with the mead pal. You and the family have a safe Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I look forward to chatting in 2015.
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete