Thursday, 11 December 2014

Polar 95 Knife with Wild African Olive Wood Handle.

Having completed two prior knife handles I thought that a hand made knife for my son would be nice. I placed an order for a Polar 95 blade from English Handmade Knives having purchased all of my blades from them, I can honestly say that I have never had any issues with the speedy service or goods. I would recommend them. This time I purchased a made sheath for the new knife.


As nice as a plain sheath can be I decided to enlist the help of an old friend Rich who has is own business Laserus. Drop me a line if you would like any work done I will pass your details onto him. We have worked together on quite a few projects cigar ashtrays, lighters and Humidors to name but a few. This time I requested he have ago at laser engraving some designs into the sheath.






Wet formed and Laser engraved.
The choice of wood for the handle was Wild African Olive Wood purchased from exotichardwoodsukltd
However, I also made a handle in Yew and would decide which looked the best, in the end I chose the Olive wood.

 
Wild African Olive





Yew
I sit and draw a handle design and when happy make a cardboard template to assist in the transfer of the image to the block of wood.

Yew handle design



Handle design traced onto the African Olive wood

In previous projects I used a steel template to burn the hole for the blade stick tang thewoodlandway.blogspot.co.uk spalted birch knife handle

The rest of the work is very much the same as for all the other knifes as per previous posts thewoodlandway.blogspot.co.uk yew-wood-knife-handle-project-pt-2

Alternate Yew handle



Yew

The finished knife with African Olive wood handle.

 




The next knife project will hopefully be the Anssi 150 Tommi blade one for myself.


 Thank you for reading.

Paul.



2 comments:

  1. Bloody hell that looks amazing. Loving the engraving. Miss you guys look forward to seeing you both. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. See you all soon x

    ReplyDelete