Friday, 15 August 2014

Dehydrating Foods.

Like most people but not all I really enjoy Beef Jerky. Having started eating Jerky many years ago whlist working in Canada. The factory packaged Jerky initially used to taste reasonably good and was sensibly priced. Not so now over priced and eats like tiny portions of rubber. In the past I have tried to Jerk beef in the oven and although coming out well I found it very time consuming threading cocktail sticks through the beef and hanging.

So I decided to take the plunge and invest in a small cheap dehydrator which I purchased from here at Amazon  Digital Food Dryer Dehydrator

The dehydrator arrived very quickly and I put it to work almost instantly with my first batch of beef which had been marinating over night. I researched various beef jerky recipes online and settled on one that I liked here Docs best beef jerky . Having tried to make Beef Jerky before I still had a bottle of Stubbs Hickory Smoke left over which in parts a lovely flavour.
I have just purchased four more bottles, that said there a quite a few recipes that do not call for smoke at all ones to try in the future.

The dehydrator works a treat it and lives up to the good reviews that are posted on the Amazon site. My second batch of beef jerky below.

Second batch of beef jerky
The second batch of jerky I added a teaspoon of Chilli flakes to the marinade and from a personal point of view I enjoy that little bit of extra heat.


Once its dried let it cool, try not to eat it and package for later. Its so difficult not to pick away at the jerky I just love it. I'm not sure if it works out any cheaper, but what I do know is that it tastes a lot better.

Another reason for buying the dehydrator is to have ago at making dried meals for walking. The cost of purchasing ready dried meals from the shops or online retailers is a bit pricey the average meal for about £4 - 5. So although I have not managed to dry a meal currently that is the plan. Watch this space. Information about recipes,techniques and ideas are ready available from many sources on the internet. The old saying is you think that you are blazing a trail then look down to see  its a beaten path pretty much like that with drying food.

My first little footstep into drying other than beef is fruit. Having sliced Apple, Pear, Kiwi,Banana and Strawberry's and dried them they come out very well with quite intense flavors in the mouth. Just going to mix them all up and add some nuts for a simple trail mix.


Well that's about all for the time being.

Thanks for reading.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment