Sunday, 11 May 2014

Wasp Gall Bob Floats

Well I had a bash at making some Wasp gall floats as I said I would in the The Morning Walk. Here is my attempt.

Wasp Galls


I purchased some bamboo skewers from the supermarket hundreds for a pound. Bought three lots of paint and one being a spray can with clear in it. I already had tools and other bits and bobs.

Instead of buying black paint I used permanent marker pens which worked a treat.

Dremmel to drill the hole bigger.
I then drilled the hole so the bamboo would fit snugly. Cut the bamboo to the size of stem I wanted and super glued the gall into position. I would have liked to have whipped the eye on but I had no thread. So I improvised by cutting the back off of safety pins shrink wrapping them into position. I have to say they are really sturdy, i'm pleased with the result.



The work table in home..
Having decided on a paint scheme for the floats of I went, after a second go I got quite quick. Spraying light but multiple sealing coats of clear paint. They have turned out quite well. They will never win a beauty competition but I will give them a ago in a couple of weeks when fishing in Sweden and let you know how they perform.


I ran out of safety pins LOL so I had to stop making any more. Threes enough to try them out. I  really enjoyed making the floats.

Thanks for reading.

Paul.


2 comments:

  1. Nice and traditional.
    Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments. I have a few Galls left and plan to buy some black and white paint to improve the remainder.

    ReplyDelete