Thursday, 24 April 2014

Saxon Shore Short Walk Out.


This will be a picture heavy blog today. I booked a coupe of nights away at Kingsdown Scout Camping Centre a few weeks ago just to get some walking in and have a short break. The site is midway between Dover and Deal and has quick access to the Saxon Shore way. Having walked a lot of this area before it was just nice to be out.


Having set the Vango Hydra up and sorted out the sleeping bag it was time to see who was on the campsite.


I was expecting the site to be chocker but to my amazement there where only two other small tents pitched, lovey and quiet.


This is the second time I have visited this site and the views to France on a good clear day are spectacular, by night the french street lights are visible. The ablutions are clean, tidy and the showers run hot what more can you ask for £9 a night, high season. A simplex padlocked gate allows you access to the foreshore.

Having arrived in the early afternoon, I pitched and went out for a walk towards St Margrets Bay. The weather was wonderfully warm with a hint of a cooling breeze.


Enjoying my walk I decided to wander up to the obelisk, not having visited before. A well kept monument to the Dover Patrol .  A nice little tea shop is just before the monument, although I didn't go in there is plenty of outdoor seating.


I eventually turned around just short of St Margret's Bay and returned back along the cliffs toward the campsite.


On the homeward leg the views back along the coastline to Deal and beyond were beautiful. The photographs do not really show it though.


Having worked up a thirst...the only way to quench it was with a nice cool beer. Half a mile past the campsite there are two nice pubs. I chose the Zetland Arms for my quaff of local ale.




And a jolly good pint they sell as well. Back to the site I went for my evening meal, shower then read and went to bed, Deal in the morning. It rained quite heavily overnight and the re-waterproofing of the Vango worked a treat with the rain beading of the flysheet, so Fabsil Gold works just fine.

The strangest things!
Nice views of working boats on the way into Deal.





The weather stayed warm with hazy sunshine but occasionally the sun broke through making it very warm. Having arrived in Deal I walked to the end of the sea wall and turned around. Calling in at a lovely old Inn the Kings Head (George III) to taste the local beer.


I stopped for a fish and chip lunch and meandered my way back to the site. Deal, Kingsdown & Walmer has some lovely old houses. I could not resist taking some photographs of these wonderful houses.



 

I did comment earlier that there where two public houses near the campsite. So here is the second the Rising Sun.


Despite the three public houses in the blog I only had two glasses of ale. I am so pleased that we are still holding onto the tradition of public houses serving local beers. Especially as so many are closing down. I can certainly recommend the ones I stopped at.

This short break has certainly recharged my batteries and set me up for my trip to Sweden next month.

Thank you for reading.

Paul.

 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment