Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Henry Shires Moment DW Tarptent - Update.




Just a short few lines to update the Garden Review of the Moment DW. Having been getting some distance walking in and stopping over night and returning the next day I have been able to test out the Tarptent. The tent when packaged sits very well in my Ultrahike 60 litre sack still allowing plenty of room for all my other possibles in the drysack. Once out of the tent bag the Moment only takes a moment to get up, the poles go together very quickly and easily, they have never got stuck or caught in the fabric tent arch. The pole sits neatly in the end sections of the tent. I am getting to grips with ensuring that either end of the tent runs in line, other wise it makes the adjustment of the sheet difficult, but apart from that I find it so easy to erect.

I like the two door option especially as it allows you to get at your daysack quickly a good storage area. The tent has quite spacious areas for storage of my rucksack allowing plenty more room, theirs more than enough room in the sleeping area i'm only 5'9 I believe you tall fellas would have no issues. 

If I  had one area which I think could be improved it would be the securing area for secondary guy lines, near the foot of each pole, currently a plastic clip, which has allowed my guy ropes to slip out of. Hey, its so minor though.

The taking down and putting away is so simple and quick not had an issue and it always fits into the bag even if not folded neatly, unlike some tents that when wet and difficult to fold / roll and stow tend not to fit into the tent bag.

Overall, I am so pleased with my purchase from Henry Shires a good quality tent at a reasonable price, even after paying import tax etc. I will not buy another tent it do's everything I want, if i had to get a replacement it would be the Henry Shires Tarptent Moment DW.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

Saturday, 26 October 2013

Kauri & Cherry

Having been making pendants out of horn and bone lately, I decided to try a different material. Many years ago my brother gave me a lump of Kauri Gum its sat on my fireplace for over 20 years, yesterday I thought I would have ago at making a small  pendant out of some of the Kauri, it turned out reasonably well.



Today, I sharpened my knives and decided to carve a spoon out of some nice Cherry wood I have had around for some time. Its amazing how quickly you get out of the rhythm of carving, its been a long time since I cut the wood. Eventually I knocked out a quite nice tablespoon for the kitchen.

Cherry Wood


I know that a lot of carvers do not sand their work down, but I actually like to finish mine of with a smooth finish. Its amazing what a drop of Walnut oil will do to bring the work to life and of course it helps with protecting the wood. We have no nut allergy's in our house, other wise you could use food grade mineral oil.



Well just a quick blog, have a good weekend, thanks for reading.

Sunday, 13 October 2013

A Pendant Day

My hand carver decided to blow up a few months ago which along with other reasons stopped me doing any work on trying to make pendants in bone. However, a replacement was sourced and arrived Friday, so back to work. The first project I completed was a surfboard carved from bone which I gave away to my son as a gift. I still have to make one more surfboard for someone, the plan was to complete it today Sunday, but its tipping down so I cannot get power to the shed.

I purchased a Water Buffalo Horn from ebay, which arrived last week, my first time working with horn.

Water Buffalo Horn
Before starting on the water buffalo horn project, I had to finish the project I had started when my hand carver burnt out, which was a Whale fluke.





Rear of the flute

A piece of 2mm black waxed cord with sliding stop knots allowing adjustment finished the necklace, a gift for my wife. I'm actually really happy with the way the carving has turned out.

So, having set the equipment up in the shed its time to start the Maori hook in water buffalo horn, having cut a section off then splitting (sawing) the block in half.

Halfed horn block
After choosing the half that I felt best I placed the design on to the horn. The approx size of the hook is quite large.


The next stage was to cut and rough out the work, I used a and fret saw, if I decide to continue making these types of project I need to purchase a small machine.


At this stage its time to use the sander and Dremmel to achieve the finished shape and thickness, following that the time consuming part the finishing which needs to be good if you want a mirror finish.





Again to finish the pendant I added 2mm brown waxed cord finished with sliding knots for adjustments. I now have to get to work on the surfboard when I can.

I'd like to do something in bone, putting some Celtic designs on, running before I walk comes to mind, we will see.

Thanks for reading.

Paul.