Thursday, 7 February 2013

Sap Walnut Cigar Ashtray Pt 2

I have finished the work on the tray. I left it for just under a week to dry out indoors as the Sap Walnut wood was wet not green. I had a little bit of warping which has been addressed.

 
Sanded
I use Abronet sanding sheets which although slightly more expensive are better value for money than normal sanding sheets. I always purchase from classichandtools easy online ordering and generally fast delivery. I start with 80 grit and work my way up to 600 I have been higher than that but I think 600 is good enough.







I was unsure what type of finish to apply to the wood. I chose Walnut oil. Actually there  is not much difference in the look of the wood just a bit shinier and smoother as you will see from a couple of photos below.

Oil applied


I was toying with putting some art work on the tray. However, I actually just like the simplicity of the finished piece. Not sure what to do with the Cigar Ashtray yet!!

Thanks for dropping in. The next task is to try and carve the other half of the wood from the tray into a small bowl, hopefully!

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment