Saturday, 26 January 2013

Rat Tail Spoon

I decided to take a look at some of the 17th & 18th Century spoon designs and came across some fascinating and ornate spoons. I looked at one photograph of a spoon which was described as having a rat tail on the bowl. I had unwittingly been playing around with designs of spoons for a while and believe I had already carved a spoon with a very similar design.

18th Century Rat tail spoon
However, I decided to have ago at carving a spoon with a similar design as shown above, my chosen wood would be Sweet Chestnut easy to carve and is very light after drying out. The down side the the grain is generally uninspiring and the wood can go a very unpleasant colour when given a coating of oil.

Sweet Chestnut without walnut oil.



Walnut oil applied
Grain uninspiring
Quite enjoyed making the spoon but not sure its a design I will be carving on a regular basis.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment