Saturday, 4 August 2012

The TJ Porridge Spoon

So it seems i'm drifting back into whittling spoons again. My Dremmel gave up the ghost last week just as I was finishing of a Whale Flute (Tail) carved pendant in beef bone. So until I purchase a new one its back to spoons, actually quite relaxing and not very time consuming. I made my self a nice porridge spoon a couple of weeks ago. I thought I would make one for my young grandson. So here we go.

Porridge spoon Birch wood
The spoon was carved from a straight piece of Birch  


I originally was shown how to choose a piece of wood with a nice curve in it for the shape of the handle. However, it can take quite a while to find such a piece. I find it easier just to carve the shape in. The spoon is about the size of a teaspoon. Rubbed back through numerous grades of sandpaper. I raised the grain twice in warm water before rubbing back again. I do not want splinters in the little chaps mouth. Eventually finished of with a coat of walnut oil. You will not taste this at all just helps the wood.

Hope you like the spoon. I have just found some spalted Birch might be very hard but I might be able to carve a good spoon.

As always thanks for reading stay safe till next time.

Paul

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful spoon, with a lovely shape and a superb finish. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Rob. Its a lovely little spoon,Birch is a nice wood to carve.

    ReplyDelete