Saturday, 7 July 2012

Tristans White Whale

Well, having said that I had been distracted by different types of carving /whittling etc. What happens but I get this bright idea to make my little grandson a small gift. So I have some antler thats been in the shed for a few years bits I have not used. I find a suitable small design of a Whale and its off to the shed.


I was surprised how simple the work was, mind you I did not stretch myself with the Whale design!! I marked the outline in after smoothing the antler flat. Then went to work with a small fretsaw using mini files to get into the tight spots.


I have a Dremmel type power tool that came in super handy. A cutting disc was used to get into the Whale flute area and made the mouth slot. A small hole for his eye using a 1mm drill bit.

Just to give you some idea of size a five pence coin is laid at the side of the Whale. I have ordered some 0.6mm Black waxed Cotton cord to hang the Whale. I needed to make a toggle for the cord at the back this was made from seasoned Blackthorn wood and a centre cut made with a cutting disc. This was perhaps the hardest part of the build as it is so small rubbed down and finished with beeswax.

The little White Whale was rubbed down through various grades of emery and when ultra smooth finished with multiple layers of natural Beeswax. I have to say I am quite pleased with the piece it took only a couple of hours to complete.

The White Whale will be a small gift for my grandson when next we meet. I am looking forward to having a go at another bone carving maybe something a bit larger.

Two posts in a day!! Thank you for reading until the next time stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment