Sunday, 4 December 2011

Birch Burl Kuksa Pt 2

So just to finish off the Kuksa Pt 2 of the project. I checked the carving and found that it felt really light a good sign most of the moisture had gone. So I decided to start the finishing work to the Kuksa.

After about 10 days drying

So to the shed and start sanding I used to use just normal sandpaper going through the grades from 40 -1200 grits. However, a friend introduced my to the Abranet sanding sheets they are vented so the dust extracts a lot better preventing clogging they also sand a lot quicker. I will never go back to the normal sheets again, down side they are a bit more expensive, but then again they last so much longer.

Sanding under way

80 Grit to get us going

I purchased  a range of the Abranet sanding sheets from classichandtools.com 10 of each ranging from 80 grit to 600. I have to say that Classic tools turnround time is super quick almost next day. I spent the next 3 hours sanding away. I always put apiece of tape of the end of my finger tips they get so sore otherwise. Eventually, I was happy with the finish I had to use the spoon knife a couple of times just to get some extra lumps out.

Completed Kuksa
I was unsure of what finish to put on the carving. I use walnut oil on my spoons it do's not go rancid like Olive oil the downside if you have an allergy to nuts it would be an issue no one in my family has so no problems. I coated the inside and outside with Walnut Oil. I have read that you put strong alcohol in the bowl followed by black coffee which should be left overnight to seal the inner bowl. I again was unsure but plan to adopt the following alcohol and coffee regime when the oil has been absorbed. I think after all that work on the bowl that it need a bit of oil to prevent any cracks. Lets hope its stable.




I have to say that I am exceptionally happy with the outcome of my first Burl Kuksa the grain s just out of this world. The walls of the carving are fine enough to be comfortable for me to drink from. I plan to keep the Kuksa for myself and use it.

Well I hope you have enjoyed my little romp through the Kuksa carving. I am unsure of my next project although I may well go back to micro carving the wood spirit faces as my enthusiasm has been kindled after looking at the work of Dave at Woodwose. Santa is also bringing me some new tools.

Happy Christmas to all.

Paul


2 comments:

  1. That sir is a beautiful kuksa!

    Just started on my first. Will use wallnut oil on mine to. Is your kuksa still stable without cracks (my main concern)? Pleased to hear!

    Best regards,

    Maarten
    http://mjvanderwielen.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maarten thanks for the great comment. The wood is very stable and has no cracks in it what so ever. The boiling did the trick in my opinion.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete